IELTS - The Very First Step

With all the growing questions and uncertainties about the new process DIAC introduced on July 1; and with all the new terms like skillselect, EOI and new Visa numbers like 189,190 instead of 175,176 - it induced mixed reactions from aspiring applicants - some saying "This will reduce the total taken from complete PR process", some worried "This will make getting PR more difficult" and some really annoyed "I was following the entire process which was there before 1st July, and now I have to learn and track each and everything from start". 

I was also very skeptic of this new process, as earlier I was under impression that my brother will lead me through this as he has emerged from this process very efficiently, but now I was at square one with very little guidance from brother. Although, I was following the expat forum for the information on the new rules; I was not that much worried as I knew what are my very first things I want to acheive before taking my process further. These couple of things were clearing IELTS (remember - with each module >=7) and ACS (This authority basically assesses your skills i.e. qualifications and experience). I chose IELTS first - as this is one thing that was in my hand to pass, and if this is not done then spending money on ACS was a waste.

It was August already when I decided on IELTS seriously, but still thinking that I will take a date in a day or two. Then after first week passed - I read somewhere that IELTS was going to raise the fees of its exam from 1st Sep onwards - that made me hurry to register for IELTS date within August :). Now suddenly I felt short of time with just 20 days to go for the exam. From IELTS registration I did receive a book of Cambridge 8 practice tests; but like anybody - I searched online for the various content I can use to study and practice - I got to know the Cambridge has this series of practice tests from 1 to 8; of which the latest I already received and this series had good feedback online - so I got my hands on part of series and started practicing with the same. You would receive the latest one when you register for IELTS - for this I personally went to British Council office to drop my proofs so that I receive this book by hand; otherwise if you send in by courier, they dispatch the book and you rarely receive it. Or you can buy them online - if you are outside India, check this: Cambridge 7 (with CD). If you are in India, check these Cambridge 7 (with CD) and Cambridge 8 (with CD) , believe me, these are good. Along with that, I also searched for various know-how of the exam and various to-be-kept-in-mind things which really helped me in the exam.
In response to the requests I was getting to suggest reading material for IELTS:
The books mentioned above are just for practice - if you want study material also, which discusses the techniques and ways to handle different type of questions - which is required to know as IELTS is not just about knowing English, its about how to tackle and answer the questions - you need to know the techniques and pitfalls you are expected to encounter; for these things you can refer to books, such as:
For people outside India:
IELTS General Training Module: Ace the IELTS exam
IELTS Academic Module: Target Band 7

For people in India:
IELTS General Training Module: Ace the IELTS exam
IELTS Academic Module: Target Band 7

I had Listening, Reading and Writing scheduled on Sunday and Speaking on Monday. Finally the day arrived  of written test; with all the nerves I went through it - and after getting out of the examination hall, I actually felt good about how I did. Only point of concern was 'writing' - as I was not very good at writing part; although I improved a lot over last 20 days through practice and various tips. Anyhow, now was not the time to worry , but to focus on next big thing - 'Speaking'; this was really a very BIG thing for me - as I really really do get tensed up in interviews or public speaking with all the nerves hijacking my body. Rest of the Sunday went in blink of an eye - and I was standing at the door of my would-be-interviewer with guard asking me to go inside. Boom Boom.. Boom Boom.. I could hear my heart - which was almost in my throat!

Once I entered, there was a lovely middle aged lady sitting behind the table who signaled me to take seat in front of her and I did that. Interview went 'Good'. Generally on situations like these I tend to lose my thought and become speechless - but to my utter surprise thoughts really flowed like anything and I was receiving great ideas to her simplest but unheard of questions. Conversation was really smooth; at around mid of interview I was at a really confident state. I came out smiling - never in my dreams I did that after an interview! Phew.. now we wait for 13-14 days for the result.

Result came out exactly when BC guys mentioned it would - and I was very happy to see that; I got what I wanted i.e. each module above 7. Got 8 in speaking :).

15 comments:

  1. is this book sufficient to target for 8 in IELTS GT. or should i refer more on online. pl advise .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sanaa,
      The book series I mentioned is enough for the practice tests - but it does not have ways or tricks or suggestions as such. You would have to go online and search for those kind of material.
      Also keep in mind - you will see quite many ways to tackle each section, you'd have to chose what suits you if unable to decide then try those approaches and see which one feels more right for you!
      When are you sitting for exam?
      Best of luck!

      Delete
    2. thanks for your quick reply. i am planning next month as i am waiting for my assessment results to come. do you suggest IDP or BC.

      Delete
    3. You are welcome Sanaa.
      This is a kind of never ending topic about IDP Vs BC - I went with BC. But, I have seen many people vouch for IDP - I guess you can go with IDP because from the discussions I have seen, - inference was the IDP is either equal to better than BC. So IDP would be safe option :)
      Also - book your date first (whenever that may be) - that is when you can get to better preparations.

      Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. thank you very much for ur advice. today i got my positive assessment. booking my slot in IDP.as there are no availability in bc for early days..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Congratulations Sanaa! That's great!
      Best of luck with IELTS preparations - hope you clear with flying colors!

      Delete
  3. I would like to achieve 7 band in general writing.Could you please suggest me any tips or book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam,
      I suggested a sample paper book in my write-up above; now as I was receiving requests to suggest study books for the same like you; I have added the book that I had used for studying. Please refer again to above article for the added links.
      Hope it helps :)
      Best of luck!

      Delete
  4. Hi admin,

    For IELTS, we just need to take General test, is that correct? Or would it be any better with Academic?
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Long,
      Generic IELTS is required for Australia PR process - unless you specific occupation code has different requirement!
      Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Hi admin,

      Thanks a lot for your clarification
      Cheers,
      Long

      Delete
  5. Hi
    The links for books for people in India are not working. Could you please update the same.
    Regards
    Gurpreet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a global trotter. I had been to Australia in the past years also. I had applied for tourist visa (Subclass 600) for Australia. I receive a letter for Chest X-ray Examination as my health requirement. Does it mean that my other requirement are complete and my visa will be issued, if my medical test appears normal. Or else my visa still be refused even if my medical test are OK. I am confused, please suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skills in IELTS is very important for pass this test


    ielts Essay Writing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this useful post.

    ReplyDelete